Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Country Roads... Take Him Home.

Karl Malone is my favorite basketball player ever.

I know most people would be ashamed to admit this.. but I'm not. In fact for much of my sports playing life he was almost my IDOL. Well, I am ashamed of that. But who are you to judge?!

Seriously, as he retired on Sunday I feel compelled to say something about my favorite player in the NBA.

The year was 1990 and I finally really GOT basketball. I mean, I loved playing soccer at the time and my baseball career had already faltered as I was placed on waivers by my teeball team. Those bastards didn't even want me in right field. But basketball... I finally got the teamwork and saw the enjoyment in dribbling and shooting. Immediately I started looking for a star to emulate.

I quickly happened upon one Karl Malone. He was big, as I was. He had a fun off balance shot... kinda like I did. Lastly, he was underrated. (This last point would become the bane of my existence.) This guy was like me!

Except he wasn't. He was country, played with all white boys, and was underrated. I mean, everyone KNEW I was great!

So every chance I could I would watch and talk about the greatness that was Karl Malone. While my game got REAALLY good. (I mean really good. I would practice playing for hours on end.. every day. I got really good, really quick.) People quickly tired of my Malone talk. Charles Barkley was the best power forward in the league... why couldn't I figure that out? It was too late. I was a Malone fan. In Malone, I trusted. He never let me down.

He continued to get better... scoring usually only behind the exalted Michael Jordan. He was always in the league top ten in rebounding. He rarely missed games and always made his team better. He would eventually fail in the finals twice against Jordan but that was one more time than Barkley had and quite frankly... he faced the Bulls. They were just always a great team. What can you say?

In the meantime, I was being ridiculed by friends and family alike for defending Karl and his team because they were seen (like Boston) as a white boy team. One of those teams that the NBA likes to have to show that white boys have game too. And while to some degree Utah may have liked to have this kind of personnel, having a good steady guards and a great PF was just a great plan. They had their share of white boys (probably to appeal to their fans to some degree) but they have always had a black player that was their go to guy.

Karl started to collected MVPs and scored the second most points of any player and still he got no respect. People we more concerned with his playing habits such as physical play and losing against Jordan. It was hurtful for me because everyone lost against Jordan and he was never dirtier than any other power forward... most notably, Barkley since he is the easiest one to compare him to.

Look at the stats, look at the accomplishments, look at his record off the court... Malone is as good as Barkley on and while off the court he isn't as loquacious he certainly has a personality and for the most part stayed out of trouble.

Now, I was concerned when I found out about his illegitimate daughter. The fact that he had essentially hidden from this responsibility was a shock and very disappointing. Still, eventually he owned up and became a father. Not just a paying sperm donor like many men, embarrassed to admit that they are wrong. I had to respect this, for we all make mistakes, because he handled it with grace.

As you can imagine... living in LA and rooting for the Jazz wasn't without peril. People wanted to whoop my monkey ass many a time when the Lakers would lose and I would root for the Jazz. One can only imagine the joy as I felt when I realized that Karl was a free agent and the Lakers might want to get the first reliable PF since James "Big Game" Worthy. When my favorite team finally got my favorite player it was like God had granted a my wishes I made back in Jr. High. While, as ya'll know, my dream eventually sagged.. then exploded... I appreciated that he was willing to try to win with the Lakers. He was principled and proud to play for the Jazz, but he wasn't above leaving if it meant a chance at a ring.

In the end, Karl Malone will be overlooked, underestimated, and probably dismissed as people remember the championships of Jordan, the personality of Barkley, the dominance of Shaq, the dead aim (and, yes "Great White Hope-ness") of Bird. But for those who also celebrate those like David Robinson, James Worthy, McHale, and Clyde Drexler... they will not forget Malone. He was a workhorse who gave as much as he took and always delivered his best. And for that, to me he will always be The Mailman.

1 comment:

ListenToLeon.net said...

I don't think any knowledgable basketball fan could ever look past Karl Malone. He was the prototypical power forward, and regardless of whether or not you liked him, you had to respect what he did on the court every night.